Sunday, March 31, 2013

Rock Against Racism w/ NAUSEA, FALSE PROPHETS @ Central Park Bandshell 05.01.88

A pivotal concert in my young life. 9th grade.

NAUSEA and the FALSE PROPHETS at the Central Park band shell for a Rock Against Racism, organized by the Yippies.

Most of my close friends over the next 3-4 years would be at that show.

A definite high water mark event for the underground NYC punk scene.

Photo by Andrea...i think

Here are some photos from the day taken by my man John A.:

Neil Robinson with a stack of fliers, and Darby next to him on stage.
Ralphy Boy from SQUAT OR ROT addresses the crowd.
 
 
Neil on the mic
Amy on the mic
 Stage diver
 Neil takes flight
 My friend and pen pal John A. at the show
A photo from Sam Moon's collection of the stage at the RAR.

These photos are great because the crowd shots show faces I remember vividly, most of whose names I can still instantly recall. I was wide eyed back then, taking in everything.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- when you catch shows like this one young like I did it kind of ruins you, because rock n roll and music in general rarely ever comes across as raw or as important as it did at shows like this one. Even back then I knew I was a witnessing realness, and I'd better appreciate it as much as possible. And I definitely did!

1 comment:

  1. Hi - I found your blog with photos of the Rock Against Racism concert in Central Park in 1988. I manage an online First Amendment Encyclopedia and looking for photos to go with various article entries. There is a Supreme Court case related to the First Amendment about a Rock Against Racism concert in Central Park. I wanted to find out from you about using one of your photos with the entry.

    ReplyDelete