Thursday, February 14, 2013

Punk Rock vs. Apartheid in South Africa

Think this was the second demonstration I ever attended. Apartheid (State-sanctioned racial separatism) in South Africa was an issue of international concern. As the U.N. is based in NYC there were many demonstrations held there in support of the A.N.C., Nelson Mandela and the freedom struggle.

This was also an issue that was widely taken up by the punk scene. I didn't meet many people, other than openly Nazi skinheads, that liked Apartheid.

Here's my friend Bejay at a Punks Picnic in Central Park Oct 1988. He's wearing a 'Free South Africa' shirt (photo by Sam Moon, I believe). That design use to be available at demonstrations. More widely popular was artist Keith Haring's 'Free South Africa' design.

4 comments:

  1. I was a punk in apartheid South Africa in Johannesburg and for a brief time Durban, I had a few 'black' punk friends. It was a weird time as we were few in such a conservative country at the time and despite the skinhead Nazi attitude,many lived in the same block of flats in Johannesburg CBD and were friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon,
      I am currently working on a book chapter over the history of punk in South Africa and the interracial engagement in punk spaces. I just came across this comment and know it's a long shot, but I was wondering if you'd be interested in telling me more about your experience in the punk scene during apartheid?

      Thank you,
      Amber

      Delete
  2. Nice story, Sharon. Did you ever hear of a band from South Africa called "Power Age"? That's the only punk band I remember hearing about back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have an interest in living a comfortable and profitable life at home, without having to work at the office all day long, then you should continue reading to find out more about the Internet laptop lifestyle blog. Many people are unaware of the fact that they can live an Internet laptop lifestyle and still earn money. Some believe that only those who work in offices and dress in business suits can earn six figures; however, this is far from the truth.

    ReplyDelete