Sunday, February 17, 2013

Icons of Filth 'Onward Christian Soldiers' LP/ Discharge "Why?" 12"


It was really hard to find Icons of Filth's music in the US in the 80's. In 1989 when I was 15 I bothered my friend Patty from Long Island until she agreed to give me the dubbed cassette she had on her. It contained Icons of Filth's LP "Onward Christian Soliders" (Mortarhate; 1984), which I desperately wanted to hear. That tape became key for me. I listened to it hundreds of times.

For that reason, because I learned their songs from an unlabelled cassette tape, I don't really know the song titles on that album. As a dj I'm normally pretty good about stuff like that.

Incidentally, 4 or 5 months later I flipped the tape over and it had Discharge's "Why?" 12" (Clay Records; 1981). I had a few Discharge records already (including some REALLY bad "Grave New World" era stuff...ugh) and I wasn't so hot on them, but after hearing that 12"...god damn, I was hooked! Discharge became all I listened to, and I tracked down all their early EPs.

Final album on the tape was Chaos UK's "Short Sharp Shock", which I already had. That was one of the few British Anarchopunk records that had a US and UK pressing. (Concrete Sox "Your Turn Next" LP was another). It was good, but it's not in the same league as their "Earslaughter" split with ENT, or their earlier "No Security" and "4 Minute Warning" stuff. But it was cheap, easy to find and everybody listened to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment