Friday, February 15, 2013

Intelligent NYHC Bands Of The Late 80's/ Early 90's

The crowd at the CB's NYHC matinees in the late 80's had a reputation for being straightedge, violent, right-wing or all three. The punk presence was on the way out, and the metal presence was in full swing.

But even amongst that crowd there were still many bands that featured intelligent, open minded and progressive thinking members.

Because I was asked, these were the hardcore bands that I liked the most from that time. I would go see their shows. I like a lot of NYHC, my collection of the vinyl is quite big. I accept that SOME of the bands in NYHC were messed up, but these ones were definitely cool! I have fond memories, and continue to listen to their music.
1- ABSOLUTION- Most people I knew were scared of Gavin, but he's a very intelligent and obviously intense guy, and has always been involved in good, positive projects. He's a pretty good guitarist- Absolution had a great guitar sound, and Djinji is one of the most talented frontmen in NYHC. I can't say why Absolution didn't break bigger, but they certainly deserved to.

I liked Gavin's post-Absolution band, BURN, as well. Saw them a few times and had their records. Even shared a stage with them. They were good...but not as good as Absolution!
2- YUPPICIDE- They had the NYHC sound, but their mentality was very different. For one thing I think ¾ of the band were graphic artists. Steve Karp tattooed, Jesse Jones drew, and I know the bass player did event staging or something. Aesthetically they were far advanced of everyone else in the field. Graf style, all that crazy RAT FINK looking shit, etc. Their shows were a lot of fun- I saw them MANY times way back when. Jesse Jones is quite the theatrical frontman! They would even play with punk bands, and were on Squat or Rot Vol. 2. Their 1st EP "Fistful of Credit Cards" on Evacuate is fucking GREAT. Over the years I picked up “Shinebox”, “Fear Love”, a live in Germany CD. Every record is good. Caught their reunion show at Wetlands years back. Seriously...great band!

3- SFA- Brendan is one of those NYHC guys that obviously has a punk rock heart and brain. He's got a very dark sense of humor I don't think people understand (SFA were amongst the first bands I remember to brand themselves “Hate Core”, which can always be a double-edged sword because really stupid people hate too). But again, SFA were forward thinking, fun, put out good music, put on fun shows, would play with punks, had a track on Squat or Rot Vol. 1, etc. so I will always give them props.
4- LIFE'S BLOOD- Pre-BORN AGAINST Adam Nathanson. John Krickshun (forget how to spell his name) on drums. Didn't really know Jason O'Toole- I knew he was from upstate like Sam McPheeters. Anyhow, I remember they would play with MENTAL ABUSE a lot for some reason. They also had a kind of rough sense of humor. Played with Nausea, Public Nuisance and The Radicts at CBs! Their EP on Combined Effort/ Vermiform is a must.

---
5- BORN AGAINST- I was fortunate enough to catch one of their first shows, at Lucky 13 squat! Picked up their demo- they had just formed, and met Sam and Adam for the first time. Very intelligent guys. Adam was always quieter, Sam is a bit of a smartass (he likes to play with fire). When I first met Adam I remember he was kind of jacked! I guess he lifted weights, and had a shaved head. I thought he was a NYHC tough guy, and was kind of wary of him! Later I got to know him better, and it turns out he's a nice guy. Had a weird, funny sense of humor that takes a minute to figure out.

6- RORSCHACH- Hard-working Charles Maggio. Amazing musically. So fucking metal and brual. Saw them many times. Great. Artistic in their brutality.
7- CITIZEN'S ARREST- Some of the most amazing shows I ever saw in my life. Closest I ever got to being into a band “for the kids”, but CXA shows were events. Pits that were off the hook intense, but not violent. Loved it. Pure power live- start to finish. Saw their last show. Very memorable.
8- KRAKDOWN- I remember skateboarding with one of the guys (Jay?) at the Brooklyn Banks when I was 14, and he told me he had a band. I asked him the name and he said 'Krakdown' (he was wearing one of those really early Gorilla Biscuits 'No Reason Why' shirts if I remember correctly). I remember they also played a Squat Or Rot show at RAPP Arts Center, which I thought was cool. They released a good EP. Still have it.

---
9- UNDERDOG- I was never that into them musically. By the time I got to know them I didn't skate anymore, so I guess I was a little close minded to them. Remember them playing the Pyramid a few times. They were kinda cool. Always thought I should have been more into them- they seemed pretty intelligent, but you know how it is with bands (especially when you're buying vinyl). Gotta make choices what to grab, and many factors come into play.

---
10- GO!- I saw Go! a whole bunch of times way back when. Seriously, a BUNCH of times. Honestly, I never really cared for them. I liked Mike Bullshit, and use to read BULLSHIT MONTHLY, but musically Go! wasn't my thing (I liked DISCHARGE or BLITZ or NAUSEA). Had all their early records, but never really played them. But always acknowledged they were cool.

Long and the short of it, I went to see Go's reunion at ABC No Rio 2 years ago AND THEY WERE AMAZING! Better then before. Don't know if that's 'cause Mike now has better backup musicians, but I was impressed! Which I suppose makes up for me being underwhelmed in high school.
11- REJUVENATE- The legendary Tommy Rat. Always a man to watch.

---
12- BAD TRIP- Saw them way back when. Had an EP. Thought they were good. Saw the reunion show- thought they were good. Never really blown away by them, but I always enjoyed watching them.

More writing on NYHC to come!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your choices from that era. I always liked Burn more than Absolution . And I have to laugh because I always wonder why people had a negative opinion of Gavin. He could be a bit grumpy but who in NYC/NJ Metro wasn’t like that at times. I always found him to be a nice guy.

    We played a show with Rorschach that was great and I always loved those guys.

    And Born Against is definitely a top choice of that era!

    Thanks for sharing!

    PVO

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Radicts were amazing live! great band

    The Deviators – awesome punk band. All talented musicians. And great live.

    miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn. I'm glad to see that some people appreciated The Deviators. I was the bassist. Thanks a lot for mentioning us. It means a lot to me.

      Delete