Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Nausea "Fallout Of Our Being" Video 1988



Makes sense to post this video first, as NAUSEA was the band that really introduced me to St. Mark's Place, Tompkins Square Park, Ave B-C and the squats.

Ralphy Boy gave my bandmate Larry a live cassette of NAUSEA at CB's (with Reagan Youth on Side B, recorded I believe at the July 4, 1987 "Fuck Fascism" show). We listened to that tape a million times, at least.

The first time I saw NAUSEA was in the ultimate old-school NYC venue, TIN PAN ALLEY off Times Square! I was 14, and the way I had gotten in the venue was to work the merch table for the promoter BOB Z (of BAD NEWZ zine fame).

The placed was overstuffed to say the least! The energy was apocalyptic. I spent the entire night, wide-eyed, not believing what I was seeing. It was the night I met many of the faces of the scene that I would be hanging out with for the next 5 years or so.

At some point in NAUSEA's set the low-hanging sheet-rock roof was punctured by the head of a pogoing punk! (I believe it was Sean Truent). Big pieces of sheet-rock rained down on the packed crowd. People just kept right on dancing! After a few short minutes the bouncing pieces got smaller and smaller, until they fell to the floor. The venue at the end of the night looked destroyed!

I caught NAUSEA several times that year- I still think 1988 was their best year. Hank's Crystal Palace on the Bowery, the bandshell at Central Park for the May 1st Rock Against Racism (a very famous show), the basement at Lucky 13's, the Lismar Lounge and many other places. 

Seeing shows like that at 14 set the bar very high for shows for the rest of my life! Even at the time I knew what I was seeing was some special, other-over-there shit. Got me in a lot of trouble with my Dad, but that would have probably happened anyway. My memories, though. Being able to say I was there- I wouldn't trade that for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment